1. What do you feel makes your work unique and truly your own?
Since I hand make all my bags myself, no two bags are exactly alike...they each take on a personality of their own. That's whats so cool about handmade and not factory made...nothing is sterile. Also, I really like to add fun little details into my work, like color-blocking, really fun patterned lining fabrics to the inside, and even some bags have hand braided straps. I think the graphic and geometric details of most of my bags make my brand distinguishable.
2. When do you feel the most creative?
When I'm out exploring LA. I've been here a little over 3 years now and I feel there is always somewhere new to go and to see. DTLA's arts district has the coolest murals, just walking around there inspires me. Also, being around other creatives, which is basically anywhere and everywhere throughout LA.
3. What is your creative process like?
Usually I'll do a quick rough sketch of what I want to make, then I start making the pattern from there. After I make the paper pattern I cut all my leather and lining fabric and start sewing. Each bag takes a fair amount of time to cut and sew....on average a good solid 8 hours total (sans breaks), so I break up the process over the course of a few days.
4. What's the coolest artistic tip you've ever received?
Being prolific is key. Just keep creating and it will take you where you need to be.
5. Any special item you'll be releasing or sale you'll be doing at the fair that we should tell people about?
15% off everything for Jackalope Craft Fair!
6. Where can we learn more about you?
Check out my about page @ www.BrittanyMatyas.com