In light of the New Year, we want to take a look at what we can do to continue to grow and improve, and how to help our artisans do the same. We took notice in how popular Snapchat has become and wondered what we could do as a business to hop on the fastest growing social media platform. We're not going to lie, it was a little intimidating. We've seen snapchat used on a more personal level, posting stories for family and friends, but as a business how do you make that connection?
We are no Snapchat pros. However, as we begin our journey we thought we would share what we have learned so far in case you would like take the plunge as well.
First, make sure Snapchat is for you. According to Hootsuite, the largest Snapchat age demographic is 18-24 year olds, making up 37 percent of users. Followed by 25-34 year olds, with about 26 percent of Snapchatters, and about 12 percent of users are aged 35 to 54. Each company has a target demographic so look into whether or not yours is on Snapchat.
What makes Snapchat stand out between other social media platforms is that you can utilize individual snaps (photos/videos) to create an overall snapchat story, or in other words, a video narrative. Each snap only lasts 24 hours which creates a sense of urgency and exclusivity which is always good when trying to engage your audience. Instead of demonstrating product photography, you have the chance to be more immediate and personal.
Here are some ways in which you can better engage your Snapchat audience:
1. Use it in real-time! This can include doing product launches, or snapping live events. Creating something new? Make it a story! Your first snap can be a mysterious "Stay Tuned" post or an incomplete snap teasing what is to come. Building excitement for your audience so that they keep coming back. Doing any live events/fairs, snap your day!
2. Deliver private content, exclusive for your snapchat audience. This creates a sort of VIP status. This can be a sneak peak, a look behind the scenes, and/or contest. You can even post on your other social media pages that you will be doing a first look via Snapchat, to encourage your fans to join Snapchat and follow you in order to achieve VIP status ;) (make sure to include your Snapchat username so they can find you!).
3. Offer a contest, perk, or promotion. Offer promo codes or discounts to the fans who watch your entire Snapchat story. Tease them to watch it until the end. This would especially be good for a product reveal, or perhaps promoting an event you will be at. Snap how you are preparing for the fair, or a new product that is coming. At the end of the story, maybe they get a discount code they can use at the fair or for that product?!
4. Feature your followers. Snapchat is more personal then other outlets so help engage your followers by enticing them. A great way to do this is to ask them to take a snap while utilizing your product! You could even create a contest utilizing this method. Post a photo with "______" and be entered to win "_________"
5. Demo your product. Use it as a guide for your followers, create a tutorial with your story. Have fun with it, since it is so personal, don't be afraid to be goofy.
6. Reward new followers with exclusive previews! "The next 25 new followers will get an exclusive peak at a new product or giveaway." Again post on your other social networks to entice them to join you on Snapchat.
Snapchat can be tricky and we are still figuring it out ourselves. So far, these are the things we found to be most relevant. We hope this helps, and if you do join Snapchat make sure to follow jackalopearts!